.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Moving to Argentina‏

Hi Fernando,

I just found your site on the I-net. I'm moving to the southern Salta Province area. I want to be in a fairly benign area when the World Wide SHTF, far from big cities, and out of the northern hemisphere. NW Argentina is my pick. I may have some friends leave the U S and join me in Argentina once I get established.

I'm 63 (look 43), in excellent physical condition (organic type), an ex Nam vet (TET offensive action 67-68), skilled in self defense, weapons, construction, mechanical, general survival, etc. I have seen and dealt with some seriously bad shit in my worldly travels, survived it all (some skill and a lot of luck), and realize that most people don't quite get it. I'm one of the few that walks the talk. Like you said in your posts, be prepared, don't act or look like a victim (I definitely don't look like one), and if someone attempts to make you one be able to defend yourself.

I've worked construction (management and inspection of big projects in later years) in the U S and Asia and traveled to much of the rest of the world. I have been to every Latin country and have worked as an electrician on drilling rigs in several countries in S. America. I lived temporarily in Quito, Ecuador. I have been back in the States for 11 years and am ready to retire (or semi-retire) in Argentina. I will be getting my residency established before leaving around the 1st part of August. I used to be nearly fluent in Spanish back then and it won't take much time to be back into it.

I just started reading the posts in your website. I have lots of questions. Most of the chat rooms and other sites don't seem to be of my mind set. Yours is.

I enjoyed the video of conditions in Bs As. I was there before the collapse and it was thriving but expensive. They were modernizing the capitol building at that time. It was a bit of a shock to see Argentina collapse like it did. I was living in Quito when it was going down. Wow, it seemed like it happened overnight. Most areas of the city were safe to go to anytime and then it was very dangerous to be out at night anywhere, especially alone. I see a lot of indicators that the U S is heading in the same direction. Lots of blame to go around. Ignorance is one's worst enemy. I've made lots of mistakes but chalk it all up to experience. Pick up the pieces and move forward (or retreat if conditions require).

I can't seem to find the cost of a new 4x4. I have a 2007 Toyota 4x4 quad cab now and a Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab long bed diesel. I would like to send them down there but the costs?, hassles?, and what about the import duty (who establishes the value)? Most sites recommend buying there. What would an equivalent to the Toyota truck cost?

I'm looking forward to hunting there. How many guns can one import? The info I have found says you need papers, receipts? Some of these I have had for 40 years and don't have any paperwork, especially my old Ruger M77 .270. It appears also that you can't bring ammo. It must be expensive. I have reloading equipment. Any problem with bringing that? and components? I may just have to cash everything out here and buy there.

I'm not a rich guy, having lost a lot in the market and other bad investments. I have gold eagles that I pulled out of my IRA that I will declare (1099 submitted to the IRS upon withdrawal, I have to pay taxes on these) on my way out of the U S and would like to bring with me. I also have various forms of silver which may be too heavy to bring. I have read that customs agents at the arrival airport (Bs As and on to Salta) will call their 'friend' and unburden you of your valuables and cash before you reach your destination. Are there other hassles? What would you recommend for secure ways to deal with this? It has been recommended not to ship it. Maybe I'll have to cash out and use another means, but I would like to hold on to the gold for awhile as I think it is ready to go to the moon.

I plan on renting until I find the right place to buy. No hurry, taking my time to find a good deal. Cafayate is high on my list.

Thanks for your great website.

Anon.

Hi,
For Argentine prices in general, use mercadolibre.com.ar. A Toyota Hilux (that’s what you want to buy) costs 26.000 USD , that’s used, 2006 in good condition. You can find one cheaper but usually beaten around a lot. Expensive? Yes. One of the many reasons why I don’t want to live here. Importing might be an option. Its still expensive but might work. Just make sure it’s a car that has commonly available parts in Argentina. Another option would be buying a used US car with high resale value in Argentina (BMW, Audi, Mercedez Benz) selling it here and buying your Hilux.

Food will be cheaper in Salta, but other than that be ready to spend between 25 %–50% more than you’ve been told. Oh, by the way, if you’ve been reading Doug Casey, let me be the first one to tell you he’s full of crap and down right lying to make money with expats.

If you’ve already been living in Salta for some weeks, then that’s a different story and I guess you know what you’re getting into.
Its beautiful, but its also the middle of nowhere province in a middle of nowhere country. May sound good to some people, but that’s until you need a doctor that does more than stitch cuts… or until you pay 4 times what you’d pay in USA for a TV, new fridge, or just about anything that isn’t produced locally .
You can import 2 long guns and 1 handgun per year ,but you can buy guns here once you get your residency. Guns are usually x2 as expensive compared to USA, make that x3 if buying in Salta, same for ammo and reloading supplies. By the way, reloading equipment has to be registered like guns, so no importing that until you are a legal resident. For everything gun related in argentina ,google "RENAR Argentina " and go to their website, its in English as well.

Don’t bring much gold, just a few pieces you can carry discretely on you. Other than that just get a international ATM card (that uses Maestro & Cirus) Then you can buy gold again. Again, it will be more expensive in Salta.
I’d seriously advice you to first visit for a month or two. Maybe rent for year after that. There’s a reason why most people run away from the poor northern provinces and move to Bs As: Poverty, very harsh climate, lack of job opportunities and general lack of everything that isn’t produced locally.

FerFAL

4 comments:

Patrick said...

I'd be interested to know what he thought of Uruguay and why he chose Salta over other places.

Anonymous said...

I don't get why FerFal referred to Salta as having a harsh climate.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/ARSA0079

Seems pretty mild to me.

Maldek said...

Gold and Silver:
I know where you coming from. I used to be a gold-bug myself but I did ***NOT*** bring gold/silver to latin america.

2 reasons:

a)If you sell your eagles here you get a bad price. They will take toiletpaper errr (no offense) U$ paper dollars with great joy but wouldnt know what to do with a golden eagle...they prob. never saw a gold coin in their entire life. And i am talking about bankers.

b) Makes you a target

Everything you describe could be found in Paraguay as well - and for half the costs.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that Ferfal says Doug Casey is lying to make money from expats. I haven't been to Argentina in a long time but I did live in Honduras very recently for several years. From that experience I would say Ferfal is correct. You can't believe the hype whether from Casey or International Living. Most of the expats I knew were like vultures preying on new expats. Usually these people are fairly well established, married to a local with good connections to fleece new comers. In many ways the whole expat thing at least in Latin America is a rigged game with a lot of problems. Problems that you don't see until you've been there for a while. Live for a minimum of a year before making any permanent type moves. There is also as a u.s. citizen being squeezed between u.s. gubmint and the host country. Hard to explain in this venue but you'll know it when it happens.