.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Money Belt

Good morning Ferfal,
I read before that you thought having 2 wallets one with a token
amount of cash in it that you quickly give up if mugged.
In addition to that idea have you noticed on amazon.com and ebay.com
they sell money belts that look like a normal belt. In your experience
would that be something that would fool most muggers or are they quite
thorough once times get tough?
Thanks,
Jim


Hi Jim,
Those are pretty neat and no, a robber will not go to that length so as to notice a hidden zipper in a belt. Generally they just demand the money, they may pat your pockets if there’s a visible bulge and they believe you’re hiding something but 95% of the time they would not search that thoroughly.  I do know of cases where even the clothes were stolen, but its not as common as the more typical robbery in which they demand your wallet/purse, jewelry and cell phone. Because of this yes, I think it’s a very effective way of concealing cash. It does remind me of the shoe soles used by the SOE agents during WWII, which had a hidden gold coin compartment for E&E.

Eagle Creek Travel Gear All Terrain Money Belt (Coffee)

Men’s Leather Money Belt Size 38 – Black
In general I prefer Riggers belts myself, which are good gun belts and may be useful if you need to be extracted or secured in some way. Its not a proper harness but certainly much better than nothing.

Tactical Assault Gear Cobra Buckle Riggers Belt LG 35-37 Coyote Tan 814493
FerFAL

3 comments:

Danni said...

Wow super interesting post...I found this because I too was writing a post about safety in Argentina and I practise the habit of carrying a bag (just filled with rubbish) as I was robbed at gunpoint in Buenos Aires...but they just took my bag and didn't check anything else...for ladies this is quite effective!

Danni @ The Scottish Nomad

Danni said...

Wow super interesting post...I found this because I too was writing a post about safety in Argentina and I practise the habit of carrying a bag (just filled with rubbish) as I was robbed at gunpoint in Buenos Aires...but they just took my bag and didn't check anything else...for ladies this is quite effective!

Danni @ The Scottish Nomad

Don Williams said...

1) If you are being chased by an angry mob down some Middle Eastern street then your buddies can fly over with a helicopter and drop a climbing rope with a carabiner tied on the end. You snap the biner into the metal loop on your belt and Shazzam! --you are doing a poor man's version of Mohammad ascending to Heaven.

Good to have --since you never know what a pack of idiots are going to put up on Youtube here in the States.

2) Plus if someone is trailing you, they are unlikely to look up -- or know about the Australian rappel:

http://swatman6.tripod.com/srt1.html

THird picture down.