.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

First Gun for Survivalist/Prepper



Fernando,
I have just started reading your book and I have to say it is one of the best "survival" books I have read.  I have discovered that too many people write about surviving the collapse of society, zombies and the Apocalypse.  Yet, I have often wondered how these authors can provide advice about something they have never experienced? 
Anyway, this leads me to my question.  I am on a limited budget and cannot afford a AR15, Glock or similar firearm. I was wondering of you have had any experience with the Hi-point Carbines? In my area I can get one for under 350.00 which is much less than a Glock. I currently own a shotgun for home defense. But I figure a 9mm carbine would work very well for home defense.
Thanks,
Javier
 

Thanks Javier, I’m glad to read that you like my book.

You’ll probably read soon enough what I wrote about guns and what setup would be suited for most people. A handgun for self-defense will be the first weapon to buy and learn to shoot well.  Defense should be your first priority. Later you could add a 22LR carbine if you want something to put food on the table or an AK or AR to round up your defensive battery.

I know what you’re thinking. You have enough money to buy something nice, and yes, the Hi-Point carbine is an ok gun. Trust me I’ve been before where you are now. I must have bought dozens of guns that way. Enough money for a gun but a couple hundred bucks short of THE gun that I really want it. 

Having been in that situation many times before, my advice is to keep saving and get a used Glock or similar high quality/high reliability handgun. Even if you buy the Hi-Point, you’ll still be without a handgun and you’ll have to start saving up all over again. That’s how you end up with half a dozen guns that are of poor or average quality, you end up with a couple Hi-points and two or three Taurus revolvers.

You have a shotgun already which is better than a Hi-Point 9mm carbine for home defense anyway, so its not as if you’re unarmed while you keep saving up for a used Glock.

Keep saving and buy a Glock 17. It is easier to shoot well, extremely reliable and if it ever comes to that it has a great resale value.
Good luck!

FerFAL

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot agree more. The Hi-Point stuff is junk, not to put too fine a point on it. I'm not a Glock fan, but for a new shooter a Glock is perfectly OK. (I'm partial to revolvers for new shooters, .357 Magnum caliber, in which you can shoot .38 Special for a low-power training round.)

Anonymous said...

Why only a Glock 17? Glock 19s and 26s are more concealable, but just as reliable. I like the 17 for range fun and the 26 for carrying, but if I could have only one gun, the midsized Glock 19 might be just right.

Anonymous said...

Ferfal, you are so right when you explain the pitfall of 2nd class guns. I did exactly what you describe and ended up with a handful of Taurus revolvers and a bunch of unknown brands. I got lucky one time and bought a Glock relatively cheap. Nearly twenty years went by and all of the cheap guns broke down or got sold. I still own the Glock.

I've noticed that Glock prices haven't risen nearly as fast as other brands(at least in my area). Glocks today are a bargain, but probably won't be forever.

Anonymous said...

Senor Fiesta here.

Agree with Fernando. You've got a shotgun, get a handgun. Once you've got that if you want a carbine then go for it. Carbines are excellent for home protection. I also agree with Fernando that you should wait until you can buy that quality gun that you want. Let me clarify, when I say want, I mean a gun you've already held, shot and liked. Never buy a gun just to have a gun unless it's your first gun and you feel you need a gun ASAP. At that point it should be upgrade to a better brand/model before moving on to the next gun. I currently have a remmington 870 and a Springfield XD 4" service model (no CCW where i live so why bother with a compact). I chose the XD after shooting that and a Glock (personal preference). That said, I will soon be buying a Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm carbine (unfortunately, the prices have gone up about $100 since the Washington shooting the other day). However, I will need to trade in the XD for a Glock so I can have the magazines interchangable for both the carbine and the handgun. Once I have the carbine then in my opinion that means the Remmington is now an "extra gun" as I would probably choose the carbine over the shotgun in a home defense scenario (more like I have the handgun and the wife has the carbine). Still mulling if I'll keep the Remmington or trade it for a more hunting worthy shotgun. From there it's a Ruger 10/22 takedown then I'm done. No need for anymore (unless the wife wants a handgun for herself). I know a lot of people who treat guns like tattoos. Once you get one, you just keep going. But I don't want or need a big collection. If I were to add any other gun it would be because it was a deal that was too good to pass up (buy to sell later as panics are common in the US).

Anonymous said...

Senor Fiesta here,

Side note on the Kel-tec I mentioned. To not create confusion. As mentioned in the past, I live in California (crappy state to want guns). The Kel-tec I am getting has an additional cost (at last quote) of $225 above the gun purchase price. This is because it needs to be modified to be compliant. In spite of that I decided to get it anyways (all modifications can be removed easily if lawlessness rules). That should be another lesson, always know your state laws inside out before falling in love with a gun (my experience shooting it was in Nevada where it is legal).

Anonymous said...

Best value choice is probably the Ruger P series of pistols, very reliable, lightweight and high capacity pistols. $300 on Gunbroker.

Anonymous said...

I have been where You are. could not afford the gun That I allways wanted wich is a glock 26 but can get a smith and wesson sigma series in 9 and 40 mm they are more reliable than hipoint and for around $300.00 dollars. is like the poor man glock. I have the 9 and 40mm with more than a 1000 round each no problems at all. Good luck to you.

Javier said...

Hi Fernando,

I decided to follow your advice as well as the advice of others who have posted her. I saved up some money and I'm close to purchasing a Glock 19 as well as a AR15.

I decided to stay away from the Hi-Point after I saw what a pain in the butt it is to disassemble. It seems like it was put together using whatever parts Hi-Point could find.